Take a tour through DEX with screenshots or watch a flashvideo.
1) Start the application 2) Tell DEX where you want to store the extracted data 3) Quit the program
CONNECT TO A SYSTEM OR A DATABASE
1) An overview of the 5 steps in the extraction process (the step you are on is displayed in bold typeface) 2) Choose databae/system type, this list is growing as we get to test more databases 3) Write the host or Ip-address and the port. 4) For Oracle you will have to state a service name or SID, other types of databases have different log on screens. Write your Username and password if it is required 5) Choose connect and then next
1) As you can see, we are now on a different step in our 5 step plan 2) Check the box next to the type you want to include (different drivers gives different choises on this step) 3) Hit next to move on
CHOOSE TABLES, VIEW TABLES AND DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO INCLUDE DOCUMENTS
1) Choose database shema (this is not possible with all database types) 2) Choose which tables to extract data from, we recomend that you select all 3) View a table. This can be usefull to check if a table contains any data or which column that contains a document reference 4) Connect documents 5) Hit next to go on
VIEW A TABLE
1) Use the scroll bar to see the complete width 2) Adjust the column width to see the content 3) Close this view. We only get to see the 50 first rows in a table, this is so we don't use all the internal memory in the computer. We have hidden the content of the password column, you will of course see everything when you work with DEX.
CONNECT DOCUMENTS TO THE EXTRACTION
1) Choose the column that contains the document reference 2) State the path to where the documents are stored, we can replace the original path with the one on our pc/server. 3) State which file extension the documents has (if it's out of the ordinary) (formats that DEX recognizes) 4) Tell if the documents have passwords, what column the password is in or write the password if it's the same for all files/documents 5) There are often more than one document attatched to each row in a table, this can be stated here 6) Hit OK to save and exit, or Cancel to discard.
DESCRIBE THE SYSTEM AND THE EXTRACTION
1) Give an ID for the creator of the archives and the system 2) Give information of what years the system has been in use. 3) Describe the system, this follows the demands that are given in norwegian laws and regulations. However, it is easily changed into a custommer defined template. 4) Write the name of the person doing the extraction 5) Press next to go to the next step
CONFIRM THE GIVEN INFORMATION
1) The Steps in the top left corner shows us that we are at the last of our 5 step plan. 2) After checking the information you can press finnish and start the extraction.
1) Shows tables read, rows read, if a metadata file has been created and the number of xml files made. 2) Shows how many documents that has been included (and how many that has been included but is of unknown type) We also shows how many documents that are converted to PDF and the number of erroneous conversions 3) The Same as number 2 only for Blobs, documents that are included in the database on binary form.
All 5 steps are now completed , you can now inspect your extraction. The Structure and the content of the XML files are all according to norwegian law/regualtions and international standards.